Live webinar presented on: Wednesday, November 7 2013 (46 minutes)
Learn about a computer programming professor who finally found the tools she needed to improve enrollment and retention of women in STEM (male retention increased, too!) after taking a WomenTech Educators Training with follow up support.
Associate Professor Barbara DuFrain increased her female enrollment by 62% and increased the retention of her female and male students by 45% in less than a year.
After implementing her recruitment plan, female students made up an average of 21% of Barbara's introductory programming courses compared to a baseline of 13% female -- a 62% increase.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- How to effectively use online outreach strategies like YouTube videos.
- Career events that include female role models.
- Classroom retention strategies that work right away.
- Icebreakers to engage and connect students early in the semester.
- The importance of teaming and pair programming in the lab.
Presented by: Barbara DuFrain, Associate Professor, CS, Engineering and Advanced Technology, Del Mar College, TX
Hosted by: Donna Milgram, Executive Director of the Institute for Women in Trades, Technology & Science (IWITTS)
Note: You will also join the IWITTS community and receive the WomenTech Educators Newsletter featuring recruitment and retention strategies. We respect your privacy.